Monday 14 April 2014

Marilyn Monroe

For my multi canvas art piece I chose to paint Marilyn Monroe. I didn't exactly have a specific reason in why I chose to paint her specifically. I wanted to work with shades, and when looking through ideas and photos this was the best option in which I would be able to execute the idea I had in mind. 

I used four canvases for this piece that are two different sizes. Since I wanted to stick with shades I only used black, and then red for the lips of course. I chose not to use a specific grey paint for the lighter areas. Instead I chose to use a black paint but I watered it down. I did this so when I faded the colour  in some areas, it would be an easier transition from light to dark. Overall it took me a whole evening (5 hours) to complete, although it may not look as so. For my first actual canvas painting I'm pleased with the outcome. It turned out better then I had expected and will be a great centre piece for the surrounding art I plan to make for my wall of art.


"We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid, so are regrets." 
                                                                          - Marilyn Monroe

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa,
    Your Marilyn Monroe piece turned out stunningly beautiful! I found that using 4 separate canvases rather than one was very clever of you, and it added an intriguing edgy look to the piece. I really liked how you used only shades of black and white, and then painted the lips red. The lips are definitely the part of the piece that my eyes were drawn to because they stand out.

    You are a very talented artist, and I am very excited to see how your room turns out in the end!

    Thankyou for sharing!

    Cailey Vaags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your painting looks great, Alyssa. The shading and coverage looks very involved; I would've have guessed it took more than five hours to complete.

    I agree with Cailey, the shape of the multi-canvas technique is quite stylish.

    ReplyDelete